Learn about a recognized methodology and standard that ensure the quality and sustainability of your ecotourism products, while supporting the sustainable development of Protected Areas as tourism destinations.
About this course:
Ecotourism is regaining momentum as travelers increasingly demand natural areas, regenerative practices and immersive experiences. However, it is not always clear how ecotourism can deliver its promise of providing benefits to both conservation and local communities. The MEET (Mediterranean Experience of Ecotourism) Network provides the global tourism and protected areas community a clear approach to deliver the promise of ecotourism. More information at www.meetnetwork.org.
Start date: anytime
Course type: self-paced
Duration: 10 - 12 hours
Course includes: 18 modules, 165 activities, 7 quizzes
Diploma: Certificate of Completion
Registrations: Signup to receive the next session dates
Fees: No fee
Who should sign up for attending this course?
Tourism managers in Protected Areas and Destination Marketing/Managing Organisations, Tourism Boards, and Inbound Tour Operators working with or in Protected Areas. In this course, you will learn about the approach, methodology and innovative tools to develop ecotourism itineraries.
Who is leading the course?
This course has been designed by IUCN Centre for Mediterranean Cooperation and WWF Mediterranean with support from Training Aid and The Travel Foundation, and taught by experts and practicioners in tourism and protected area management. During your learning journey, you will have support from the IUCN Academy team through the tools offered by the platform.
What will you learn?
By the time the course is completed, you will have learned how to:
- Establish and manage a local ecotourism cluster that ensures good governance in the protected area destination;
- Develop multi-day ecotourism itineraries with high sustainability and quality standards;
- Interpretation and the role of Guides and Tour Leaders at delivering a great customer experience of nature and culture;
- Marketing, storytelling and communicating multi-day ecotourism products.
What are the benefits of this course?
- Expand your skills to engage in ecotourism, a growing sector with the increased demand for visitiation on protected and natural areas;
- Explore innovative approaches on how to develop tourism in a sustainable way;
- Join a network of ecotourism professionals, and protected area and tourism managers.
Course developed by:
Financial support from:
Technical support from: